Saturday, August 13, 2011

Getting Published: It's Going to be a Long Road

As long as I can remember, I've dreamed of writing a book.  I always thought it would be easy-- I just had to finish it, and then it would magically be on a shelf for all to read. 

I've never been more wrong.

My childhood disillusions came about through research, which I'm assuming would bring a reader to my page in the first place.  Publishers require agents before they will even consider your work, and agents are difficult to acquire when they get thousands of queries.  This is doubly difficult if you have no credentials-- like myself.  The only thing I could include on my query is a decade of FictionPress and FanFiction.net submissions, a couple of published poems, and an article in AntiqueTrader that didn't even count because they got my name wrong and butchered the content to unrecognizable garbage.    Needless to say, I've reduced my personal information on queries to "this will be my debut novel."

But, I digress; I'm starting to miss the purpose of this post.

I want to be published.  I have an original idea, a slew of well-developed characters, and a burning passion for writing.  I'd like this blog to document my journey toward that goal, and connect with other people that are trying to break into writing as well.  This long road will end with publication, even if it takes me years. 

In the meantime, I'd like to post information about agencies and resources, discuss queries, writing prompts, and all other things related to writing.

It's going to be a long road, but I'm in it for the long haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment